Psychological disorders of childhood and adolescence are organized into various categories. One of these categories is emotional disorders. This category includes mood-related, depressive, and anxiety-related disorders.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research emotional disorders.
Click here to download and review four cases related to emotional disorders.
Then, complete the following:
- Analyze the cases described in the provided document carefully, with a focus on the symptoms demonstrated by each child or adolescent.
- Select two cases from the list in the document.
- Identify which emotional disorder is the most likely diagnosis for each case you have selected. The list of possible disorders is below:
- Major depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Do the following to explain your chosen diagnoses:
- Describe each chosen diagnosis by listing the symptoms and criteria required for that diagnosis and possible causes of that diagnosis.
- Evaluate how the selected cases illustrate those criteria and why that individual has developed that disorder.
Write your initial response in 350–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including in-text citations and full references. Incorporate information from at least two academic sources to support your statements or ideas. Academic sources could include your textbook, required readings for this module, academic journal articles found in the AU online library, and the American Psychiatric Association Web site at the following:
- American Psychiatric Association. (2014). Mental health. Retrieved from: http://www.psychiatry.org/mental-health
By the due date assigned, post your response to the Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses. Provide a statement of clarification, a point of view with rationale, challenge a point of discussion, or draw a relationship between one or more points of the discussion. Consider commenting on the following:
- Explain whether you agree with the peers’ analysis of the cases and recommendations for treatment. Provide reasons in support of your comments.
- Share additional information learned about the selected diagnosis while conducting the research.
- Provide interesting resources, Web sites, or references for academic research articles you found during your research. Summarize the researched information for your peers.
|Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions||
|Quality of responses to classmates||
|Frequency of responses to classmates||
|Reference to supporting readings and other materials||
|Language and grammar||