Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) & the Family
Chronic stress of any kind takes a toll on an individual. It also can affect those who care about that individual, including family members. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a particularly difficult form of chronic stress, and it has unique effects on individuals and their loved ones. In order to help these families to cope and thrive, a program has been developed at the Oklahoma City Department of Veterans Affairs to teach families about PTSD and about how to cope with it effectively (Sherman, 2008).
- Read Session 3_PTSD & Its Impact on Families.pdf of Sherman’s treatment manual for families (Sherman, 2011).
- Create a main post that addresses the following:
- Identify at least two pieces of information in the manual that surprised you regarding the effects of PTSD on families. Describe them fully and explain why they surprised you.
- Describe at least two interventions/coping strategies/recommendations identified in the manual that you believe would be most effective for helping families cope well with the effects of PTSD on families.
- Explain why you believe those would be effective, based on findings from research on stress that we have read thus far in the course. For example, if one is a cognitive-behavioral intervention designed to help a family member change his or her thinking about the loved one’s diagnosis, you could argue that the intervention would be effective based on research you may be able to find on the effectiveness of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for relieving stress.
- Support your ideas with academic, peer-reviewed sources, such as your readings for the week and/or the sources mentioned in the instructions for this assignment.
Your post should be at least 150 words in length and must include citations for the research study that you reviewed. Please use APA citation style (in-text citations and full references provided in a list at the bottom of your post).
- Post at least two responses to your classmates. Responses should be substantial and meaningful. Consider responding in a manner that keeps the conversation flowing, such as by asking a question, offering an alternative point of view, or suggesting additional ideas that expand on their ideas. Please remember to cite at least one source (with in-text citations and a full reference) in at least one aside to support your ideas in that aside.
Please do your best to meet the criteria for this assignment by adhering to the rubric for discussion assignments: Rubric_Discussion Participation.docx.