2. Assignment Description
Individually you will work on the assignment which looks into post-modern Western architecture. It focuses on the theory of 6 main architects of Post Modernism.,
– Robert Venturi (Chapter 1-topic 1)
– Michael Graves (Chapter 1 – topic 3)
– Robert Stern (Chapter 1 – topic 5)– Aldo Rossi (Chapter 10- topic 1)
– Tadao Ando (Chapter 10 – topic 1)- Peter Eisenman (p174-181)
– Philip Johnson (from page 100)
– James Stirling (James Stirling, speech 1957, quoted in Contemporary Architecture p230)
Click https://www.dezeen.com/2015/07/23/guide-to-postmodern-architecture-design-glenn-adamson/ l
The assignment aims to develop your understanding of post- modern architecture in general and specific architectural theories developed at the time. This is achieved by doing an in-depth study of one of the architects mentioned above. The assignment also focuses on articles written by the following architects and compiled in Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture in order to fully identifying their theories and works. The assignment will also look into 2 cases designed by the architect to analyze the theories implemented in the design.
3. Assignment Process
- Architect Selection:
Conduct general research about the 6 architects and choose one to focus on.
- In depth research : Conduct in-depth research of your specific architect looking at : 1- education background- who was the architect influenced by?
2- theoretical approach?
3- attitude towards modernism?4- attitude toward history as a source of inspiration?
5- attitude towards the symbolism and its communicate role?
6- attitude towards the importance of the expressing time, place, culture in design?
- Case Study analysis: Choose 2 edifices designed by your architect and analyze and annotated diagrams following the template on moodle.1- Concept
3- Internal space and user experience (plan space layout)
4- martials used
5- response to architectural context (classical / symbolic elements) 6- relationship to site & surrounding context
Create a conclusion which identifies the main concepts and ideas which your pioneer architect focused on- identifying the main characteristics of modern architecture
Submission Week 12
4. Assignment Requirements
By the end of your research you will need to submit
- Research showing your architect’s theories and methods (using the chapter and widerreference)
- Visual analysis of the cases – must include written explanations and annotated drawings.
- Conclusion of your study.
Your work will be submitted in an A4 typed landscaped document.
The document should Include a title bar that shows : Course name, year, semester, assignment title & instructor’s name and presented in a Post Modern Style.
Combine & balance images & text for part 1 (500 words), add references, follow APA style. Part 2 visual document should be several pages. Part 3 conclusion page.