You are the hospital administrator for a county hospital, which is
funded in a large part by that county’s property taxes. You discover
that you have an indigent patient who has been mistakenly admitted as an
inpatient to the hospital strictly for dialysis treatment. The hospital
does not, as a general practice, provide only dialysis treatment for
patients. This is beyond the scope of the hospital’s mandate and is
therefore, an inappropriate use of local property tax funding.
If the indigent patient is discharged from the hospital and dialysis
treatment is terminated, the patient will become toxic and experience
severe physical consequences, even death. However, if the patient is
kept in the hospital for purposes of dialysis treatment only, the
hospital must assume the burden of the patient’s debt, without revenue
to cover the associated cost.
Based on your understanding of the above scenario, create a report in
a Microsoft Word document that includes an analysis using the classic
decision model to keep the patient in the hospital or discharge them.
- An introduction
- Definition of the problem.
- Identification of the stakeholders.
- Identification of alternative solutions.
- Evaluation of alternative solutions.
- Solution chosen and how to implement it with the stakeholders.
- Conclusion and reflection of this process.
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MATERIAL:::
As we progress through the material this term, it will be important to demonstrate scholarship. What does that mean?
1. Locating information from current, credible resources (e.g. journal articles from the past 3 years and course resources) to support your discussion;
2. Paraphrasing when possible to avoid a heavy reliance on direct quotes; and,
3. Citing resources properly (including both in text citations and full references) per APA formatting guidelines.
JUST FOR IDEAS::::
The key to any decision-making model is the gathering of accurate data. The classic decision-making model sets
out that no legitimate source should be discounted. Your decision
starts with accurate data and most move to options or alternate
solutions, which involve communicating vertically and horizontally so
that all parties are aware of the any alternate direction and solution.
This week you will explore decision-making, which may well impact daily
performance and is based on dealing with new variables presented in an
existing problem area.
Your Learning Objectives for the Week:
- Apply conceptual and technical business aspects of healthcare
management to the resolution of administrative problems, using
comprehensive case studies in administrative decision-making.
- Justify the principles of human resources management, operations
management, quality and strategic planning in administrative