Read the , as well as the New York Times (Links to an external site.), LA Review of Books (Links to an external site.), The Nation (Links to an external site.), and Harvard Business Review (Links to an external site.) reviews of Hyman’s book. Make sure to annotate and take notes on the texts.
Now, do your best to answer the questions below in 3-4 sentences.
1) In the Introduction of Temp, Hyman writes that the post-1970 transformation of the American workforce “was not a conspiracy of a few, but a consensus of the many” (5). What does he mean by this? What were some of the shifts that led to the transformation of work that Hyman is trying to explain?
2) What does Hyman mean by the “Second Industrious Revolution”? How does he compare the shifts that took place in 18th- and 19th-century capitalism to the organizational and technological shifts taking place today?
3) On p. 292 of Chapter 12, Hyman quotes Stephane Kasriel, the CEO of Upwork: “There is nothing new here. Firms have been subcontracting to other firms for decades.” This seems to confirm Hyman’s argument that technology hasn’t caused the “gig economy,” but simply reinforced it. Yet Hyman does seem to think that there is something genuinely new about recent online platforms like Upwork, Uber, Etsy, etc. What?
4) Describe the connection that Hyman makes between Virtual Reality (VR) technology and the “migration problem.”
5) In a few sentences (or perhaps even a short paragraph), do your best to describe (in your own words) the overall argument that Hyman will be making in this book.
First, read the INew York Times (Links to an external site.), LA Review of Books (Links to an external site.), The Nation (Links to an external site.), and Harvard Business Review (Links to an external site.) reviews of Hyman’s book. You might also browse the CQ Researcher article on .as well as the
Now, I’d like you to write 2-3 sentences in which you define the 10 terms, laws, policies, and historical movements/moments/processes listed below. Please do not simply copy-and-paste the first few sentences of the Wikipedia article (though Wikipedia might be where you start your research). Try to go deeper. For a broad term like “Labor Union” or “Keynesianism,” think about how these terms relate to Temp. What is the most important thing for you to understand about these terms with regards to Hyman’s argument? For the more specific terms—e.g., “Great Recession of 2008” or “IRS Form 1099″—try to include a little background for these terms. For example, what are some of the causes and consequences of the “Great Recession”? How might this connect to changes in the way people work in the U.S.?
The point of this assignment is to begin building a vocabulary so that we can understand the context for the argument that Hyman is making in Temp. Building your vocabulary is part of research! The more fully you understand these terms now, the easier the reading and your research for the major assignments of the quarter – the Contexts Project and the Advocacy Project – will become.
1) Temporary Agency
2) Management Consulting
3) The New Deal (mention the National Labor Relations Act of 1935 and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938)
4) Labor Union
7) Great Recession of 2008
8) Income Inequality + Wealth Inequality (what’s the difference?)
9) IRS Form 1099 (vs. Form W-2)
10) Adjunct Faculty in higher education