HUSS125- Family Theory and Services
Portfolio Project Directions and Rubric
This Portfolio Project is worth 15% of your grade
Completing this Assessment will help you to meet the following:
• Examine assessment and therapeutic interventions with an emphasis on relationships, parenting, and abuse and/or neglect.
• Demonstrate ethical and legal communication techniques specific to the human and social services environments.
• Information Literacy and Communication – Utilize appropriate current technology and resources to locate and evaluate information needed to accomplish a goal, and then communicate findings in visual, written and/or oral formats.
• Rational Learning- Learning through a pureunderstanding of the material and understanding the connection between the mechanisms of the material.
• Thinking Abilities – Employ strategies for reflection on learning and practice in order to adjust learning processes for continual improvement.
• Community and Career – Participate in social, learning, and professional communities for personal and career growth.
Deliverable items for the Portfolio Project will be required at different points during the course. Details for each submission are included below in the Deliverable Descriptions.
You are a practitionerbeing supervised while handlingan active “family in crisis” case. Your supervisor wants you to assess and provide evidence-basedtherapeuticoptions that will eventually become a treatment plan for the case family. You will present your proposed treatment plan (including diagnostic assessments) to your supervisor and other members of the treatment teamby composing a paper.
Using the case scenario in Appendix A, you will write an approximately 1,500-word paper that will define, explore, and summarize evidence- and family-based therapeutic practices. The resulting treatment plan should include emphasis on family relationships, parenting, the “Eight interlocking concepts of Bowen’s Family Systems Theory,” domestic abuse, violence and/or neglect issues. More information on Bowen’s Family Systems Theory can be found at the following weblink: Eight Concepts
In writing your paper you also need to be familiarwithfamily-basedtherapeutic techniques and theories. Basic information on some of these techniques and theories can be found at the following weblinks:
• Bowenian Family Systems Theory
• Family Systems Therapy (FST)
• Family Therapy and Systemic Practice
• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
• Other multidisciplinary therapeutic interventions
Please note:any therapeutic techniques and approaches you consider for this paper should have afoundationin family dynamics, human development, dysfunctional family patterns, and/or marriage and family strategies (e.g., power differences, communication issues, sexuality and gender problems etc.). The web resources listed above will help you to do this. Additionally, this paper should examine, reflect, and demonstrate yourunderstanding of specific approaches in family therapy. You will accomplish this by using websites provided in this document andresources that can empirically support your ideas, hypotheses, and/or opinions (such as Google Scholar and the Bryant & Stratton College Virtual Library).
Working with a family in crisis requires the use of micro–skills such as questioning, summarizing, paraphrasing,asking and developing questions to build relationships, and active listening. These specific micro–skills help therapists provide interventions and treatment plans by identifying the family dynamics and historical patterns of the family, assess and treat unwanted situations or behaviors, and facilitate and guide families into short and long-term goals. For more information on these micro-skills, read the PDF provided at the following link:Counseling Micro-skills
You will deliver this information in a written paper that will evolve over the course of the next 7.5 weeks.
As was noted above, your paper should include scholarlymaterial such as research, articles, and websites that support your ideas and opinions (including the weblinks provided in this document and searches of Google Scholar and the Bryant & Stratton College Virtual Library).
Requirements and Formatting
Your Portfolio Project must be formatted as follows:
• APA formatting
• Title Page
• Times New Roman or Arial 12-point font
• 1-inch margins
• Page numbers in the top right corner
• Reference Page
More information and a template for this written project can be found in the Student Resources tab on your Blackboard home page.
Week 2: Case Scenario Introduction and Possible Treatment Approaches
• Due by the end of Week 2 at 11:59 pm, ET.
Read the case scenario provided for this project, which can be found at the end of this document (in Appendix A). In a few paragraph response in a Word Document with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation, address the prompts below. Remember, this document will be a “work in progress” that you will continue to modify throughout the session. The purpose of your writing this week is to give your initial thoughts and assessment of the case scenario.
Title, introduction, and beginning of body for your Portfolio Project paper:
• Title – Choose aninspiredand attention-grabbing title. You will use this title for your APA formatted title page on your completed Portfolio Project paper. You want this title to get the reader excited about reading your paper, so do not simply use “Portfolio Project” or “Week 2 Assignment.”
• Paraphrase the case scenario in a couple of sentences. Include a topic sentence and 3-5 sentences including the following:
▪ Identify the key issues or problems in the casescenario in your own words (synopsis).
▪ ExamineJamie’s situation and outline some of events that brought her to therapy.
• Beginning of body
• Explain information you may share with Jamie in the first session to develop a therapeutic relationshipthat is built on trust, honesty, respect, and a non–judgmental environment.
• How do you feel Jamiecan benefit from therapy, specific interventions, reflecting on her relationship with her parents, and setting goals? Justify your rationale.
• Using the weblinks provided earlier in this document and your own research, evaluate which form of family therapy you are considering implementing for this client and her family. Defend your reasoning for choosing this type of therapy and make sure to indicate the stengths and weaknesses of this approach.
• Finally, using the weblinks provided earlier and your own research, critique the effectiveness of possibly using the family therapy and systemic practice approach in working with the family in the provided case scenario.
This will become the basis of the introduction of your paper. Additionally, please format the above URL’s into an APA formatted sources.
Good Therapy.org. (2016, August 5). Treatment Plan. Retrieved from https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/treatm…
Upload your Word document to Blackboard.
Week 3: Assessment Questions
• Due by the end of Week 3 at 11:59 pm, ET.
This is where you introduce the skills of assessment and questioning. The therapist/client relationship is based on trust and honesty, and occurs in a non-judgmental and safe environment. Therapists use questioning, assessments, and/or basic listening skillsto relate to the client, build a relationship, and ascertain the methods, theory, and possible interventions/treatment that best suits an individual or family.
The PDF on counseling micro-skills provided earlier in the directions section of this document will help you to complete this portion of your paper.
Your job is to interview Jamie to assess and better understandher relationship with her mother and step-fatherand the reports from school staff of an apparent unhealthy relationship and subsequent unusual, negative, and detrimental behaviors.
In a few paragraph response in a Word Document with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation, select at least three of the basic listening skills that you might implement in your initial session to find out more about Jamie’s personal, academic, and family situation and why she was referred to outside therapy. These basic listening skills include: open questions, closed questions, encouragement, paraphrasing, reflection, and summarization.
For each selected basic listening skill, address the following prompts:
• Define/describe the basic listening skill.
• Plan some questions or specific strategies you could use with Jamie or her family to demonstrate the selected basic listening skill.
• Defend why you think the selected basic listening skill would be particularly effective given this family’s unique dynamic.
Remember, if you use one of your sources or any of the material presented in this instruction document by either copying word for word or paraphrasing someone else’s words you must cite it. If you don’t cite, you are plagiarizing and that can lead to stern academic integrity infractions (also found under Student Resources on your course Blackboard).
Week 4: Intervention Recommendations
• Due by the end of Week 4 at 11:59 pm, ET.
Good Therapy.org (2016) describes a treatment plan as a versatile, multi-faceted document that allows mental health care practitioners and those they are treating to design and monitor therapeutic treatment. Additionally, an effective treatment plan should be collaborative (involving the client and members of the treatment team), informative, and practical. Treatment plans are meant to reflect and implement goals that are in the best interest of the client. Treatment plans are agreements that outline approaches toward problem solving, empowerment, and goal setting.
As you work on this step of your project, you might find the information about treatment plans available at the following weblink useful: Good Therapy: Treatment Plan
Utilizing information from your own research and resourcesprovided within this documentaddress the following:
• Create a sample treatment plan for Jamie. This treatment plan should include:
o Goal(s) of treatment
o Methods to assess progress
• After detailing your proposed treatment plan, make sure to explain why you feel the selected goals, objectives, and interventions would be appropriate and beneficial for Jamie and her family.
o You may choose as many treatment interventions and goals as you feel appropriate but ensure that you use sound research in order to substantiate and support your reasoning.
Week 5: Rough Draft
• Due by the end of Week 5 at 11:59 pm, ET.
Create a rough draft of your paper by combining the content you wrote in Weeks 2, 3, and 4. Make sure to incorporate any feedback your instructor provided during these weeks. Your completed rough draft should include the following:
• Title page in APA style, utilizing the title you created in Week 2
• Introduction (completed in Week 2)
o Information given to Jamie in her initial session, potential benefits of treatment for Jamie and her family, possible therapeutic interventions/techniques for Jamie and her family, critique of effectiveness of family therapy and systemic practice approach (written in Week 2)
o Basic listening skills used to assess Jamie and her family (written in Week 3)
o Treatment plan and justification (written in Week 4)
o Add transitions and headings between the sections created in Weeks 2, 3, and 4 so that your paper flows smoothly and is easy to understand
o At least 3-5 sentences
o Summarize the major concerns/complaints Jamie and her family presented with, the basic listeningskills used, and the treatment methods suggested for Jamie
o Try to tie the major themes/points of your paper together
• Reference list (in APA style)
Upload a rough draft of your Portfolio Project paper to the designated discussion forum located in Blackboard. In your initial post, in addition to attaching your paper, provide specific areas where you would like recommendations for improvement and the type of feedback you are looking for from your classmates and instructor.
After you post your paper, review, and reply to two of your peers’ submissions. Your replies should go beyond simply telling your classmates that they did a nice job or that you liked their paper. Instead, you should use the grading rubric as a guide to provide your classmates with specific strategies, thoughts, or ideas you think would help them to improve their assignment. Acceptable feedback could include comments regarding grammar and spelling, proper APA formatting, more specific information or questions/concerns regarding the treatment plan, etc.
In addition to feedback from your peers, feedback will also be provided by your instructor prior to your final submission in Week 7. Make sure to utilize this feedback to make any necessary changes.
Week 7: Final Submission
• Due by the end of Week 7 at 11:59 pm, ET.
This week is the final submission of your Portfolio Project. Incorporate instructor feedback, make any additional corrections, and submit to your ePortfolio.
Upload your Portfolio Project to the Program Outcome in your ePortfolio listed below. Use the following naming convention: HUSS125 – Portfolio Project:
“Adapt essential communication skills to interact effectively with supervisors, peers and the public in various human and social settings.”
For directions on how to upload your project to your ePortfolio, please see Student Resources in Blackboard on the navigation pane.
Week 7.5: Reflection
• Due by the end of Week 7.5 at 11:59 pm, ET.
For the final piece of your Portfolio Project, you will reflect upon the project in the form of a Word document. This reflection will beapproximatelyone page in length.
For this reflection:
a) Explain how the knowledge gained in the project will benefit you in the workplace or in your personal life.
b) In your own words reflect on how this project meets the Program and Institutional Outcomes stated on the first page.
Upload and submit your final reflection.
For specific grading information, please refer to the Portfolio Project Grading Rubric
Appendix A – Case Scenario
Jamie, 17 years old, high school student was referred to an outside counseling center for by her school counselor due to displaying behaviors that were of concern brought forward by several of her teachers, close friends, and her parents Miranda (biological mother) and Jack (stepfather). The behaviorsincludesleeping in class, lack of motivation, a decline in grades, decrease social interaction (dropping close friends), and serious attitude problems at home. She did not report any issues with alcohol/drug. She has limited her social groups and close friends and gravitated more to drug-using peers. However, since the remarriage of her mother, she has felt let down and alienated from her mother. She reports that she has had no contact or relationship to her biological father as he has moved to a different state and remarried. Her relationship with her mother isvery tense since the separation, divorce, and subsequent remarriage. She expressed frustration and anger towards her step-father blaming him for her “unhealthy”behaviors. Jamie freely admitted she wants to improve her relationship with her mother but felt the step-father was always in the way. She expressed the need for more visible and outward expressions of her mother’s love. The family requested individual and family counseling services.