Question 1 (3 points)
On the USGS Venus Interactive Global Map webpage (http://webgis2.wr.usgs.gov/Venus_Global_GIS/), click on <Search Nomenclature> on the upper left of the screen. This will open a window where you can type in the name of a feature.
- Enter “Hervor Corona” and click <Find>
- Under <Results> on the left side of the screen, the feature will be listed. Click on + to the left of the name and information will be displayed.
1. Scroll down in the results window and record the following information for Hervor Corona.
Diameter: ______________ km
Center_Long: _______________ °
Center_Lat: _______________ °
Question 2 (2 points)
Select the <Measure> tool from the upper right side of the screen. A small window will appear with three icons. The left icon, “Point-Coordinates” will return the location of the cursor when we click on the map.
- Select “Point-Coordinates”, move the cursor to the thumbtack and click. The X and Y coordinates will appear in the <Measure> window. Record the values below.
- Be sure to read the IMPORTANT NOTE in the lab textbook!
2. What are the coordinates that appear:
X Coordinate: ______________
Y Coordinate: ______________
Question 3 (1 point)
In the “Measure” Window, click on the center icon, “Line-Distance”, to measure distances and sizes on the screen. (Consult the lab textbook for the entire description of steps to to take.)
- Move the cursor to the right side of the outer ring so that the black line is horizontal across the corona. Double-click to end the line. The length of the line will be displayed in the “Measure” window. Change the length value to kilometers.
- Be sure to read the NOTE in the lab textbook.
3. Using the “Line-Distance”, measure the diameter in km of the inner ring of Hervor Corona.
Total Length of inner ring: ____________________ km
Question 4 (2 points)
An example of a Radial-Concentric corona is Selu Corona. The radial concentric type has intense fracturing that radiates from the center of the corona along with the typical circular fracture pattern.
- Click on <Full Extent> to return to view the entire surface. Use the <Search Nomenclature> and the <Measure> tool to find the X and Y Coordinates.
Selu Corona: X Coordinate: ____________ Y Coordinate: ____________
Question 5 (1 point)
Another type of corona is the Concentric-Double corona. These are similar to the basic type of corona, Concentric, but they have two distinct annular ridges and/or moats instead of one. An example of a Concentric-Double Corona can be found at X = -83.9 and Y = -29.9.
Enter these coordinates in the <