The Research Project Outline describes and defines your project with the research you have done. Although it may still be a work-in-progress, it is the most important assignment of the quarter. If begun early and done well, it will ensure success in your final paper – and make it easy to write! In this assignment you will write a succinct, complete description of your research in outline form including what you have accomplished thus far and your vision for where you plan to go.
The outline should contain sufficient information that allows readers (your TA) to assess the validity and usefulness of your proposed research project. The only elements missing from this research proposal are the findings of your study and your analysis of those findings (what you will present in your final paper).
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Failure to be concise; being “all over the map” without a clear sense of purpose.
- Failure to cite the most notable, relevant, and recent works in your secondary source research
- Failure to delimit the contextual boundaries of your research [e.g., time, place, people, etc.].
- Failure to develop a coherent and persuasive argument for the proposed research.
- Failure to stay focused on the research problem; going off on unrelated tangents.
- Sloppy or imprecise writing, or poor grammar and mechanics that impede comprehensibility.Required Submissions to TritonEd
- ____ Outline (600-750 words)
- ____ Sources (the cover pages of news sources and headlines of articles and news articles and the cover pagesof scholarly sources)Change of Topic, Feedback and RevisionYour Research Project Outline will help you organize your research and stick to your plan. It will also give your TA a chance to intervene with support, resources, or suggestions. Your topic and news sources may have changed since your Source Credibility Assignment, but you should be more decided now. Once you submit your Research Project Outline, you may not change the topic of your research project without close communication with yourTA (preferably in person) and your TA’s approval. You may be asked to submit a revised outline before thatapproval can be given.Assignment Requirements
- 1) Topic Selection: One UDHR article + one related current event (within the past year) or a developingnews story related to one of the thirty Articles in the UDHR . Or you can search mainstream foreign newspapers/news media sites for a region, event, series of events, movement, or issue that you want to study and the UDHR for a related article. .
- 2) Research: Searching Global News Sources (4-1-3)
From the English-language, mainstream global news sites listed below, locate coverage of your topic in a minimum of 4 news media articles and 1 on-line English-language news source (not on the list below) published in at least 3 different continents.
Possible news websites:
World-Newspapers.com (directory of world newspapers) http://www.world-newspapers.com/ (contains access to news sources in Africa, Asia, Australia and Oceania, Europe, Middle East, North and Central America, US (state and local papers).
In addition to the news sources listed in World-Newspapers.com above, you might also try these:
The Saudi Network (directory of Saudi newspapers) http://www.the-saudi.net/directory/news-papers.htm Arab News (Saudi Arabia) http://www.arabnews.com/
The Jerusalem Post http://www.jpost.com/
Haaretz (Israel) https://www.haaretz.com/
Palestine News Network http://english.pnn.ps/
The Daily Star (Lebanon) http://www.dailystar.com.lb/
Daily News Egypt https://dailynewsegypt.com/
Al Ahram Weekly (Egypt) http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/
Al Jazeera (Qatar) https://www.aljazeera.com/
Hurriyet Daily News (Turkey) http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/
Tehran Times http://www.tehrantimes.com
The Independent (UK) https://www.independent.co.uk/us The Guardian (UK) https://www.theguardian.com/us
New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/ Los Angeles Times http://www.latimes.com/ Reuters https://www.reuters.com/ Associated Press https://www.apnews.com/
Model Research Paper Proposal OutlineWorking Title: “Write it Here: It May Change”
- Abstract – Write a 100-word brief summary of your research project as it has developed so far and your initial findings.
- Topic and Working ThesisA. One sentence presenting the topic: _______________________ + _____________________(human right from UDHR) (current event, movement, issue)
A. One sentence presenting your current working thesis in answer to the Research Question for this assignment.
II. Works Consulted: Research and Preliminary Findings in Works Consulted
List the sources that you have consulted. For each source summarize why you selected that source, describe the source and list key observations, evidence, claims, depictions, and/or findings that you have encountered so far and that relate to your project. Your news sources must be 4-1-3: four from the news source list above, one from an on-line source not on the list, and published in at least 3 different continents.
- News Source #1 (See correct MLA Works Consulted format in Easy Writer)
- News Source #2 – ditto
- News Source #3 – ditto
- News Source #4 – ditto
- News Source #5 – ditto
- Scholarly, Secondary Source #1 – (See correct MLA formatting). List two potential peer-reviewed,secondary sources you are considering or that you have already consulted. Explain why you selectedeach. This way, your TA can provide feedback and make suggestions for the direction of your project.
- Scholarly, Secondary Source #2 – ditto
- Project Completion PlanThe next two things I will do to further this project are: _______________ and _________________. Describe in 100 words or less.
- Request for FeedbackA 100-150 word request for feedback on the specific parts of your project with which you are still having trouble. Your TA will provide the two most important interventions you can make to improve your project.