Career Research Paper
- Due Mar 22 by 11:59pm
- Points 100
- Submitting a text entry box, a website url, a media recording, or a file upload
You will be starting your Career Research Paper that is due next week. It is important to start right away. Below are instructions for your Career Research Paper…
CAREER RESEARCH PAPER
Format: 3 pages, double-spaced, typed, #12 font Content:
- For the Career Research Paper, choose a career that interests you or one suggested by the career assessments done in the class. Answer these questions:
- Describe the career. What are the typical job duties? Why are you interested in this career?
- Are certain personality types and skills desired and/or required? How does your personality type match this career or not? Go back to your Do What You Are (DWYA) assessment in CollegeScope.
- What are your interest codes for this career? How does your interests and values match this career? Go to Career Cruising.
- What are some advantages and disadvantages of working in this career? What type of environment will you be working in?
- What is a typical day, week, month, year? What is the salary or pay? Part time? Full time?
- What is the job outlook? Is there a demand or not in this field? How difficult or not difficult is it to gain employment in this career?
- What are the educational requirements? Licensures?
- What are related majors or majors needed for this career?
- What are related occupations for this career? Research other occupations similar that may be of interest.
- What are the growth opportunities?
- What interesting facts did you discover?
- Extra: Find a job advertisement on this career and paste it on a piece of paper or download it from a website (extra)
- To research your career, use at least 4 sources of information:
- Texts, E-books, Articles, Library Research (see Discussion Five for a review of library resources).
- Informational Interview: It is encouraged you use an interview with a person in your career of interest. Included is a separate sheet that talks about Informational Interviews and possible questions to ask. See handout for Informational Interviewing under Additional Resources below.
- Career Cruising, Do What You Are (DWYA), and Multiple Intelligence (MI) Assessments you took in class. These will answer a variety of questions.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ (Links to an external site.)
- Outlook Quarterly and Career Outlook Publications: https://stats.bls.gov/careeroutlook/ (Links to an external site.)
- Include a “Works Cited” listing of the sources you used. Get help form the library if you need help with your “Works Cited” format. Jeremy will be in Week 8 Discussion for assistance or you can email him at email@example.com. For computer sources, list the Web address and date accessed. Remember to ask a Librarian for help. There is also an online librarian.
- Visit the Career Center to get help researching. Bring your logins to Career Cruising passwords and logins. Also, feel free to log into your CollegeScope portfolio to share with the Career Center staff or Career Center Counselor. Career Center contacts: www.cuyamaca.edu/career and 619-660-4436.
Career Research Paper and Resources
Informational Interviewing (Links to an external site.)(Excellent questions you can use to do an informational interview. An informational interview is when you interview someone in the career you are interested in. You will need to do an informational interview for your final career research project in this course.)
Occupational Outlook (Links to an external site.) (Put in the job you are interested in and find tons of information on the career you are interested in–use this information for your career research paper.)
Occupational Outlook Quarterly (Links to an external site.) (Find unique information on a variety of careers and interesting articles.)
JobStar (Links to an external site.)(Resume and Cover Letter Samples and more.)
Job Hunters Bible (Links to an external site.) (Lots of research and help on resumes and cover letters.)
Sample Career Research Papers
Sample Student 1 Career Research Paper (Links to an external site.) (Psychology/Counseling)
Sample Student 2 Career Research Paper (Links to an external site.) (Certified Athletic Trainer)
Sample Student 3 Career Research Paper (Links to an external site.) (Lawyer)
Sample Student 4 Career Research Paper (Links to an external site.) (Hospitality Career)