Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
This assessment has three-parts. Click each of the items below to complete this assessment.
Part I: Co-Teaching, Communication, and Collaboration
Using Document #1: Observation Report of a Co-Teaching Classroom, answer the following questions (two to three pages):
- What is at least one benefit of using co-teaching strategies in the early childhood classroom?
- What two co-teaching strategies would be useful for the teachers in the observation report to use? Why did you choose the strategies, and how can the teachers use them to make their co-teaching relationship more effective?
- What is one piece of feedback you would provide for each of the two teachers in the observation report regarding communicating and collaborating more effectively?
- Describe a specific strategy for building communication and collaboration skills in the co-teaching setting. Include a rationale for choosing this strategy.
Save this file as CC002_Part I_firstinitial_lastname (for example, CC002_Part I_J_Smith). When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, select “Submit Attempt”.
Part II: In-Service Presentation: Communication and Collaboration
Based on Document #1: Observation Report of a Co-Teaching Classroom and the information provided in Barrera and Kramer’s “Cultural Competency as Skilled Dialogue,” create an in-service presentation on effective communication and collaboration techniques, incorporating the information provided in the scenario as well as from the professional knowledge base. Part II of this assessment is an oral presentation that is 5-7 minutes in length and accompanied by 7-10 PowerPoint slides. The presentation must include:
- An overview of at least three effective respectful, reciprocal, and responsive communication and collaboration strategies, and a rationale for why you chose the strategies.
- An explanation of the benefits of applying respectful, reciprocal, and responsive strategies when communicating with colleagues and other professionals.
- An explanation of at least one strategy for resolving conflict in the workplace. Include examples relevant to the early childhood professionals in the scenario.
If you are unfamiliar with how to add audio to a PowerPoint presentation, please use this tutorial.
Save this file as CC002_Part II_firstinitial_lastname (for example, CC002_Part II_J_Smith). When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, select “Submit Attempt”.
Part III: PLC Plan
Submit a description of the PLC plan you will create to improve school readiness at the center. Base your PLC plan on Document #2: Preschool Staff Meeting Minutes, Document #3: Editorial on the Implementation of a PLC, and the information provided in “ What is a Professional Learning Community? ” by Richard DuFour. Your response should be three to four pages in length. Your description should include:
- The visions and three measurable goals of the PLC.
- Clearly defined roles and responsibilities of administrators and teachers.
- How PLC teams will be structured, a protocol for meetings, and an explanation of how evidence-based decision making will guide the PLC.
- The benefits of the PLC you have planned. In your explanation of the benefits of the PLC, address the concerns from the newspaper article in Document #3: Editorial on the Implementation of a PLC.
Save this file as CC002_Part III_firstinitial_lastname (for example, CC002_Part III_J_Smith). When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, select “Submit Attempt”.