Getting to Know You and Cultural Competence
First, provide a brief introduction of your professional background. Next, review the Office of Minority Health, National CLAS Standards located in the Web Resources area.
- Discuss your ethnic/cultural background (health perception and practices).
- Choose a different culture or ethnic group and discuss potential cultural/linguistic needs. Consider your food preferences, rituals, health beliefs, and any religious orientations that may influence patient care.
- Apply at least one CLAS Standard that supports the identified need and discuss the role of the advanced practice nurse in promoting culturally sensitive care.
- List all references in APA format (minimum 3 references)
Please visit the below websites to enhance your knowledge of immunization schedules for all age groups, including the catch-up schedule, healthy people 2020 goals, clinical preventative services, and guidelines for genetic screening (legal, ethical and social issues, family history).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Healthy Living. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyLiving
- S. Preventive Services Task Force. Retrieved from www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org
- The Guide to Community Preventive Services. The Community Guide. What Works to Promote Health. Retrieved from http://www.thecommunityguide.org/index.html
- Healthy People 2020. Retrieved from https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives
- The Office of Minority Health. The National CLAS Standards. Retrieved from http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlid=53