ANSWERS DO NOT HAVE TO BE EXCESSIVE. NO LONGER THAN 250 WORDS EACH.
- 1.) Search the Internet for the websites of organization development and other management consultants. Try to find an explicit or implicit model of organization or organizational change that they recommend. How do these relate to the models presented in Chapter 4?
- 2.) What are the differences between first-generation OD and second-generation OD? What are the major changes between these two generations of OD practice? What do you think have been the losses or gains in the second generation of OD practice?
- 3.) Think about any past work experiences you have had and compare your experiences to the motivators and hygiene factors discussed in Herzberg’s theory. Do the factors that motivate you reflect what Herzberg found? Has motivation changed since Herzberg’s research? If so, how? Has what motivates you changed over time?
- 4.) Consider “Example 3”, in Chapter 1, and answer the following questions:
- What was the initial problem or area of opportunity for OD?
- What did the practitioner do?
- What were some of the problems or struggles along the way?
- How does this example illustrate one or more of the definitions of OD listed in Chapter 1?
5.) At the text publishers Student Study Site read: Journal Article/Chapter 2 / Review Article: The past, present and future of organization development: Taking the long view (Links to an external site.) Bernard Burnes and Bill Cooke, Human Relations, November 2012; vol. 65, 11: pp. 1395-1429.
What are the key similarities and differences between OD as practiced in the 1970s and 1980s when compared to OD in 2000 and beyond
6.) Take a few moments to reflect on what you have learned in Week 1 of the course. Write a reflective paragraph summarizing your thoughts.