The main goals of any organization are to run smoothly and to provide the best possible quality to the customer; the patient. Despite our best efforts, there will inevitably be a problem or two in an organization that will need to be researched and resolved. On the clinical side, practitioners are committed to using Evidence-Based Medicine, however on the administrative side, few are using Management Research in the workplace as a means to manage the organization based on proven best practices (Reisz, 2016).
In the 1930’s, Sakichi Toyoda (founder of Toyota Industries) developed the technique of the 5 why’s. The 5 why’s is a decision-making process based on an understanding of what is actually happening in the environment versus was people might perceive is happening (MindTools, n.d.). The process is based on asking those people who have hands-on-experience with the situation to drill down to the root cause by asking “why” five times. Once the root cause is determined a counter-measure becomes apparent and implemented to prevent the issue from occurring again (MindTools, n.d.). Please watch the video below for an example:
For this assignment, you will use theto investigate a workplace problem from the options below:
- Clinical staff not entering patient vitals in EMR upon check-in for the appointment
- A high number of “no-show” appointments (auto-caller in place)
- Unpaid co-payments among patient
- Patient Satisfaction scores decreasing on office-based surveys
- Low use of Patient Portal by patients for routine tasks.
- SNF patients not getting a daily bath
- High attrition among CNA’s in SNFor ALF
Once you have selected a problem, you will complete the 5 Why’s template for the problem in the areas of:
- Cause of the specific situation
- Why the problem was not detected
- System or Process that failed.
Once you feel like you have uncovered the Root Cause in each of these areas (some areas may not require 5 whys and may be uncovered with only 3 whys), you will devise a countermeasure to prevent the issue from occurring again.
NOTE: Your countermeasure should be supported by at least ONE credible reference.
Reisz, M. (2016). How to make an impact with your research in the workplace. Times Higher Education. Retrieved from: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/how-make…
Mind Tools. (n.d.) 5 Whys Getting to the Rood of a Problem Quickly. Retrieved from: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_5W.htm (Links to an external site.)
- Your paper should be thorough, well-conceived college-level responses that are grammatically correct.
- Justify your responses with facts and details from your research and reading.
- Include an APA-formatted reference page and in-text citations.
- Create your assignment in a Microsoft Word document and submit your file using the Upload Instructions below. Remember to proofread your work before you submit it. Title your file name as, LastName_Unit2_Assignment.docx.