In recent years, there have been many cities roiled by officer-involved shootings of minorities. The communities of several cities have led to demonstrations in the streets and debates in the classroom.
These cities distrust their public safety organizations and require a change.
Find a recent news story that demonstrates how a community has come to distrust a public safety agency, or use one of these events:
- Corrections: New York Prison Escape: How It Happened, and How it Ended
- Probation/Parole: Chief Judge Mum on Completed Inquiry Into Cook County Probation Agency
- Law Enforcement: Task Force Finds Chicago Police Department Plagued by Racism
You can select any public safety agency that has an ethical issue. Supply a link to the news story, and answer these questions in your initial post:
- What practices or events led to the community’s distrust?
- What policy or practices should have been in place to prevent the events that led to community distrust?