The Healthy People 2020 objectives and the Millennium Goals are two ambitious approaches to addressing the disparities found in vulnerable populations. In this Application Assignment, you will determine factors that contribute to health disparities, how culture impacts treatment in healthcare, and how the goals and objectives plan to reduce or eliminate health disparities.
To prepare for this Application Assignment, review the following
The definition of culture and articles relating to how culture impacts treatment in healthcare.
- The Millennium Development Goals Report 2009 http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/MDG_Report_2009_ENG.pdf
- Healthy People 2020: What Are Its Goals? http://healthypeople.gov/2020/
To complete this Application Assignment, write a 3- to 4-page paper that addresses the following questions.
- What socio-ecological factors contribute to the existence of health disparities? (Examples include socioeconomics and education).
- How might one’s culture serve as a barrier to equal treatment when it comes to healthcare? Give an example. (*Note: Please remember that culture is not skin color).
- Give an example or examples of how populations experience unequal treatment and disparity in healthcare. Provide some statistics to help illustrate this point from the CDC, the textbook, your Resources this week, or another reliable source.
- How do the health-related Millennium Development Goals address such health disparities?
- Discuss 2 to 3 Healthy People 2020 objectives that provide a framework for addressing health disparities, based on Vision Health
Support your answers with statistical information about Vision Health. The following are a few websites that provide a wealth of data regarding specific populations and Vision Health:
- State Health Facts, Kaiser Family Foundation www.statehealthfacts.org
- Statistical Information System, World Health Organization http://www.who.int/whosis/en/
- Interactive Map: Maps: The Global Picture http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/atlas/us.html