Everyone identifies with a certain modality to accommodate the best way they learn. Have you ever thought about the way you learn? Do you consider yourself an auditory learner? A visual learner, or even a kinesthetic learner? As you begin this week, think about the habits you have formed to accommodate your learning style and what helps your focus.
Whatever your learning style, receiving feedback from instructors is an important part of your learning experience. Quantitative feedback is given as your numerical score in the grade center. However, did you know that faculty also provide personal written messages about your work in the form of qualitative feedback? Qualitative feedback is provided along with your numerical score, in both your rubrics and in Feedback to learner in the grade center.
In this Blog, you will explore the different ways individuals learn and how these different ways might impact the
Note: Blogs are conversational in nature and are intended to generate ideas and encourage discussion. Therefore, no APA citations of Learning Resources are required for your Blog posts. Your Blog posts need to be graduate-level from a grammar perspective.
- Review the Laureate-produced media piece, Portrait of a Professional Counselor.
- Review the Learning Resources for this week and consider your personal learning style.
- Take The VARK Questionnaire: How Do I Learn Best? Quiz provided in your Learning Resources for this week and save your results.
- Review strategies to be a successful online learner using the Essential Guide to Online Learning (1st Ed.). Section I: Getting Started and Tools for Success: Learning Styles.
- Review Help with Technology, and click the Classroom link. Here, you will find a check grades tutorial with detailed instructions for locating grades and instructor feedback.
Note: Upon reviewing the Portrait of a Professional Counselor media piece, Part 2 of the Portrait will be revealed.
Note: The VARK questionnaire website offers additional evaluations for purchase as well as an opportunity to participate in research. No purchases or research participation on the website are required for this activity.
Post the following to the Blog:
Based on the results of your learning style quiz, think about how these results might impact the way you learn in an online learning environment.
- What might you need to do to be a successful online learner?
- What strategies can you use to help you to be successful (i.e., communicate with your instructor, communicate with your colleagues)?
- State if you were able to successfully locate both your numerical grade area and your instructor’s qualitative feedback area for your Week 1 Blog or ask for assistance.
Laureate Publishing. (n.d.). Section I: Getting started and tools for success: Learning styles. Essential guide to online learning (1st ed.). Baltimore, MD: Laureate Publishing.
Note: This will be made available as a PDF in the classroom.
Walden University. (2015). Academic guides at Walden University. Retrieved from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/waldeneguide.
Read the following sections:
McDonald, K.E. (2011). Teaching the 6th Edition of APA Style of Writing in Counselor Education. Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision, 3(2), pp.1-24.
Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
Walden University. (n.d.c). Site search. Retrieved from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/m…
Note: The Writing Center’s plagiarism prevention modules focus specifically on the appropriate ways writers should incorporate and cite sources they use in their writing.
Center for Faculty Excellence, Walden University Library. (n.d.). SafeAssign tutorials and academic integrity. Note: Please see the Course Information area of the BB classroom.
Please view these tutorials about SafeAssign:
- SafeAssign Student Tutorial (Short Version)
- How to Submit a SafeAssign Student Draft
- How to Submit an Assignment Through SafeAssign Student Tutorial
- How to Interpret a SafeAssign Originality Report Student Tutorial
The Writing Center, Walden University Library. (n.d.). Using evidence: Paraphrasing. The basics of paraphrasing. Retrieved from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/e…
Note: Please review the various Paraphrasing Strategies Media provided at this site.
Document: Professional Development Plan (PDP) Template (Word document)
Spreadsheet: Weekly Schedule (Excel)
One of the most valuable skills you can have as an online student is effective time management. Therefore, we ask that you
- download and save this sample weekly schedule,
- use it to create your own based on your work and personal responsibilities, and
- revisit the schedule at least once a month to ensure that it still reflects your time commitments.