The Key Assignment for this class will involve creating a Public Health Assessment and Strategic Plan for the community in which you live.
- Public Health Assessment for Community of Fayetteville, North Carolina (this will be the focus week one requirements)
- Define the community and its interaction with the local health department (1 page)
- Develope an organizational structure of your local health department (1 page)
- Submit a health hazard assessment and prioritization for the community and why you believe the hazards were ranked so (2 pages)
- Assess the current public health role and capabilities to respond to the top hazard (5 pages)
- Public Health Strategic Plan
- Analyze areas of improvement and develop a policy (3 pages)
- Submit a strategic plan based on the policy discussing what the role of public health should be during the identified hazard. This strategic plan must address the 10 essential services of public health.
Requirement for Week 1: (The Focus of the paper) Fayetteville, NC will be the community
During 2009, the H1N1 outbreak was declared the first influenza pandemic influenza. Public health agencies across the country developed outreach and response strategies for their jurisdiction. In 2013, the H7N9 virus is once again threatening to develop into a pandemic. Based on lessons learned from H1N1 in your jurisdiction, please write a policy proposal on how to best mitigate the threat of H7N9.
- Define your jurisdiction (demographics, geographic area, community dynamics) and the structure of your community’s public health department.
- Provide an overview of how influenza H1N1 affected your community.
- Give a brief on the federal efforts during H1N1. Describe the community outreach initiatives that the Public Health Department undertook during H1N1.
- What worked in your community? What did your community learn or not learn?
- Describe areas of improvement in the local strategy and how you would improve upon them.
- H1N1 Versus H7N9: Policy Proposal
- Compare and contrast the dynamics of the H7N9 virus with H1N1.
- Based on similarities and differences, which strategies would work, and which ones would fail?
- What strategies would you recommend be adopted based on lessons learned from H1N1?
- Do you think that your local health department is prepared to tackle H7N9 should it evolve into a pandemic strain?
- APA Format, with in text citation
- 3–5 pages
http://ww.co.cumberland.nc.us/docs/default-source… http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2017/03… http://www.co.cumberland.nc.us/departments/public-… http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recomm…
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Public Health System and the 10 Essential Public Health Services at https://www.cdc.gov/nphpsp/essentialservices.html
- Center for Global Development. Case 1: Eradicating Smallpox at https://www.cgdev.org/page/case-1-eradicating-smallpox
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Eradication: Lessons from the Past at https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su48a6.htm
HealthyPeople.gov. Public Health Infrastructure at https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/public-health-infrastructure?topicid=35