To prepare: Read the case provided by your instructor for this week’s Discussion. Review the decision trees for anxiety and OCD in the Morrison (2014) text and the podcasts on anxiety. Then access the Walden Library and research interventions for anxiety.
Post response in which you address the following:
- Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis for the client. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention). Keep in mind a diagnosis covers the most recent 12 months.
- Explain the diagnosis by matching the symptoms identified in the case to the specific criteria for the diagnosis.
- Discuss other disorders you considered for this diagnosis and eliminated (the differential diagnoses).
- Describe an evidence-based assessment scale that would assist in ongoing validation of your diagnosis.
- Recommend a specific intervention and explain why this intervention may be effective in treating the client. Support your recommendation with scholarly references and resources.
Morrison, J. (2014). Diagnosis made easier (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Chapter 12, “Diagnosing Anxiety, Fear, Obsessions and Worry” (pp. 167–184)