Considering the complexity of the world, it is tempting to think that the human senses are designed to take in information with as much accuracy as possible. However, the literature points to the fact that sometimes sensory systems actively distort information. For example, touch receptors stop signaling about the way clothes press against skin, or the visual system ignores blind spots in
In this Discussion, you will differentiate between sensation and perception. You will describe how pain is detected and transmitted to the nervous system and the pros and cons of pain perception. You will also describe the processes involved in pain management through both pharmaceutical and alternative pain treatments.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the Post to Discussion Question
link, and then select CreateThread to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts—and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources in
orderto be able to differentiate between the terms sensation and perception as well as to be able to describe the processes involved in detecting and transmitting pain.
- Choose a specific pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical pain treatment and research the processes through which those treatments manage pain.
By Day 3
Post a response to the following:
- Define, describe, and clearly differentiate between the terms sensation and perception.
- Then, considering the sensation and perception of pain:
- Describe how pain is detected and the neurotransmitters and receptors involved in transmitting that information to the central nervous system.
- Choose a specific pharmaceutical pain medication and explain how it interferes with this pathway to reduce and manage pain. Consider the downsides of treating pain via pharmacological methods, such as opioids.
- Choose an alternative pain treatment (non-pharmaceutical) and explain how it works to manage pain. What are some potential pros and cons to this approach?
- Finally, propose at least one potential cost and one potential benefit of pain perception.
Support your posting with specific references from literature in the Walden Library and Learning Resources.Zero plagiarizing, Quote work, No.com’s