Geodemographic Segmentation: Finding Your People
Geodemographics is a common and effective means to segment potential customers. Leveraging both demographic (e.g., gender, age, income, marital status) and psychographic (e.g., habits, hobbies, spending habits, values) data, households can be classified into segments and the relative attractiveness of these segments for your product or service can be determined.
In this interactivity, you’re going to take a geodemographic system (Prizm Premier) and determine which segment best describes you. Then, exploring map data, you’ll assess how common your segment is for where you live and where you could live amongst more people like yourself! Finally, with knowledge of your segment’s profile, you’re going to suggest a promotion for your internship brand targeted specifically to your segment.
1. Begin by perusing the Prizm Premier interactive tutorial (Links to an external site.).
- You’ll note there are 68 segments. Fortunately these are broken into 11 lifestage groups that provide a more manageable starting point.
2. Visit the Prizm Premier Lifestage Groups page (Links to an external site.) and determine the following:
- The lifestage group and segment that best matches you
- How common your segment is where you live
- Where you could move to find more of “your people”
- How to do all that? Our reveals all.
3. Create a promotion from your mentor marketer to target your segment.
- Imagine you’re executing a targeted promotion. Tell us the product or service and deal that you will pitch your segment and justify its appeal.
- Feel free to package products or services together.
4. Publish a post to the forum below containing the following…
- Your Premier Prizm lifestage group
- Your Premier Prizm segment and the characteristics driving your choice
- The “popularity” index of your selected segment where you live
- The high indexing area for your segment that you’ve chosen and its value. Tell us what town is in your county that we might have heard of (or any other attraction).
- Your segment specific targeted promotional offer and rationale