1. In your (supported) opinion, what, if any, is the difference between “police community programs” and community policing?
2. What is meant by the term community policing and its relevance as regards serving the community?
3. Does community policing improve the relations between the police and members of a minority community?
ALL RESPONSES SHOULD BE COMPREHENSIVE AND DETAILED. THEY MUST BE SUPPORTED BY OUTSIDE REFERENCE SOURCES OTHER THAN THE COURSE INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL.
This week we have been focusing on drug control policy. We have discussed the ever growing heroin abuse problem and the increase in fatal overdoses that result. Consider the specific case of heroin in Maryland and the policy that has been developed and put into place to address the overdoses. Please take a look at this policy, titled the Maryland Opioid Overdose Prevention Plan, which is attached in the week 3 Content area. Read over the key initiatives and then pick one to answer the below questions.
- Enhanced epidemiology
- Substance use disorder treatment
- Public health focus on overdoses
- Efforts to address overdoses on pharmaceutical opioids
- Emergency response plan
For this discussion question, choose one of the key initiatives and address the following:
1. What is the benefit of this initiative to achieve a reduction in opioid overdoses (the objective of the policy)?
2. What challenges do you foresee in achieving this initiative?
3. If you were able to amend this initiative, what would you add to increase its effectiveness?