Prior to beginning work on this week’s assignment, read the Chapters 4, 5, 6, and 9 in Martin (2016). To check your understanding of the material required for this interactive assignment, you may wish to access the quizzes and flash card activities on the companion website (Links to an external site.) for the Martin (2016) text.
This assignment is designed to contribute to your research for your final assignment, the Counterterrorism Strategy due in Week 6. The research conducted for this assignment may be used in your Weeks 4 and 5 discussions and interactive assignments as well.
Using the Ashford University Library (Links to an external site.), search for full-text scholarly journal articles related to terrorism theory and your chosen international terrorist group. It is recommended that you utilize the same search criteria on terrorism theory as outlined in the Interactive Assignment in Week 2, with the addition of your chosen terrorist group. As a reminder, follow these steps for your search:
- Select “Advanced Search”
- On the next screen, enter “terrorism” in the first search box.
- In the second search box, enter “theory.”
- In the third search box, enter the name of your terrorist group.
- To focus your search further, under the “Limit your results” heading, check the following boxes: “limit to full text” and “limit to scholarly/peer reviewed.”
- Finally, select the “Search” button at the top of the page.
- After your results appear, select the box next to “Academic Journals” under the “Limit by Source Types” heading.
Narrow your selection to three articles, of which you must select one for your International Terrorist Group Journal Article Analysis. The articles you select must be different from the ones you selected in Week 2. (Note: the SAGE companion website (Links to an external site.) for this course is another good place to identify applicable journal articles.)
Your chosen article should focus on at least one of the following elements: the underlying causes and effects of terrorism, the historical socio-political structures that contribute to terrorism, and/or the ethical and legal issues from either the perspective of the terrorist group or the government.
The Scenario. This interactive assignment is a continuation of last week’s assignment in that you will continue your role as a staff officer in your chosen federal department (the DHS, DOD, or DOS); however, the focus of this week’s journal article analysis must be on the international terrorist organization you chose in Week 2 from the partial list of terrorist organizations adapted from the U.S. Department of State. As the staff officer from your chosen department, you will prepare a new presentation on this week’s chosen journal article to present to your Program Manager that is appropriate for use in developing and shaping a policy to counter terrorism efforts of a specific international terrorist group.
Your presentation must include a minimum of five sections, in addition to title and references slides. Each section must contain a minimum of one slide and a maximum of three slides. You may include visual enhancements in your presentation. These may include appropriate images, a consistent font, appropriate animations, and transitions from content piece-to-content piece and slide-to-slide. (Images should be cited in APA format as outlined by the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.). Students may wish to use the MSCJ Where to Get Free Images guide for assistance with accessing freely available public domain and/or Creative Commons licensed images.) It is recommended that you access Garr Reynolds Top Ten Slide Tips (Links to an external site.) and/or PowerPoint Tips (Links to an external site.) which provide useful assistance with creating successful PowerPoint presentations. For complicated issues you should script your comments in the speaker’s notes section of the presentation. You can find the speaker’s notes in the “Click to add notes” section at the bottom of each slide.
In the role of staff officer, you must convey the critical elements of this second scholarly journal article to your program manager. Your presentation must demonstrate your ability to write succinctly and effectively. Each slide should reflect distinct organizational and creative efforts.
Your presentation must adhere to the following:
- The first slide is the title slide which must contain the following
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- The first section must address issues presented by your boss from last week’s presentation.
- In the second section, you must summarize the author’s credentials, briefly describe the publication, and include the full APA citation.
- The third section must summarize the author’s main points in the journal article.
- The fourth section should address how the article reflects at least one of the following as it relates to your chosen international terrorist group.
- The underlying causes and effects of terrorism
- The historical socio-political structures that contribute to terrorism
- The ethical and legal issues from either the perspective of the terrorist group or the government.
- In the fifth section, evaluate the chosen journal article’s contribution to the topic and how it aligns with the expert opinions of the two other articles you reviewed.
- Final Slide: APA formatted Reference Page
Attach your PowerPoint presentation to your initial post.