Read the following articles and be prepared to write your opinion. Given these examples of poor event planning, what do you believe is the role of the fundraiser/event planner in mitigating these types of disasters? As a professional fundraiser, how would you deal with these situations? How would you approach your boss or a newly minted Member of Congress to express your deep concerns about his plan?
- McClatchy’s “Lavish Republican Fundraiser with LeAnn Rimes Nets $650”
- Crain’s “Non-Profits Tread a Line on Costs of Fundraising Galas”
- Higham’s “Nonprofit contractor sent government $1.1 million bill for parties and retreats“
- Special Events 101 for Nonprofit Fundraising
- Miller’s Branding for Nonprofit Fundraising Events – Part 2: Out of the Box Event Ideas