Module 2 – Case
In the Module 2 Case, you will be applying virtue ethics to the Mattel case.
Part 1: Critical Thinking
Before you begin to write up your Case, let’s consider what is meant
by “critical thinking.” Critical thinking is one of the five key rubric
criteria by which your assignments are graded. Therefore, it is required
that you demonstrate evidence of critical thinking in all assignments.
For an overview of critical thinking, read the following very carefully:
Kurland, D. (2000). What is critical thinking? Critical Reading. Retrieved from http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_thinking.htm
Next, review the Critical Thinking Skills chart at the
following site. This is an excellent visual synopsis of the various
components of critical thinking. Note the questions that are associated
with each element of critical thinking:
A must have chart featuring critical thinking skills. (2014). Educational Technology and Mobile Learning. Retrieved from http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/05/a-must-have-chart-featuring-critical.html
Part 2: Virtue Ethics
Visit the library, and locate the following article:
Sethi, S., Veral, E., Shapiro, H., & Emelianova, O. (2011).
Mattel, Inc.: Global manufacturing principles (GMP) – A life-cycle
analysis of a company-based code of conduct in the toy industry. Journal of Business Ethics, 99(4), 483-517. Retrieved from ProQuest.
In a well-written 4- to 5-page paper, discuss how three virtues apply to the Mattel case.
Keys to the Assignment
- Choose three virtues (e.g., justice, fairness, integrity, courage,
honor, truthfulness, etc.), and define each using a reputable online
dictionary (e.g., http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
- Using a section heading for discussion of each of your chosen
virtues, discuss how each virtue applies to some ethical issue raised by
the Mattel case. For example, you might describe how the virtue you
have selected might have been used to more appropriately guide the
actions, behaviors, and/or policies of the company (e.g., you may choose
to discuss the company’s working conditions, worker safety, company
fairness, or Mattel’s attitudes towards the environment).
- Be sure to use at least two sources from the library to support your discussion and analysis (choose sources that are not included in the Background section of Module 2).
- Follow The Student Guide to Writing a High Quality Academic Paper guide.
- Don’t forget to properly cite your sources – both in-text and as end references!
- You are expected to demonstrate evidence of critical thinking – as defined in the background materials of Module 2 and the grading rubric.
- Be sure to organize your Module 2 Case using the Module 2 Case Format document.
Your paper will be evaluated using the grading rubric.