Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Options Across the Lifespan
As a nurse leader, you are undoubtedly familiar with a wide array of medications and treatments for various injuries and illnesses. There are, however, times when traditional treatments may not be effective or appropriate, so having knowledge of complementary and alternative treatments is advantageous. In addition, nurse leaders should share their knowledge with colleagues and fellow nurses, and this is a goal of this Performance Task Assessment.
You have been charged with identifying CAM treatments and options for those at different stages of their lives and educating your colleagues about what you found. For this Assessment, you will prepare a video webinar where you locate and describe appropriate CAM treatments for different groups of people.
Your video webinar should be 8–10 minutes (you can write me a narrative 5-6 pages answering following questions in order) long, and you should use the Video Recorder function within Brightspace. In your recording, address the following:
Introduction: (~1 minute)
- Explain what the term complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) means and why nurses should be aware of these options.
- Explain one challenge associated with the nurse’s role in providing CAM options.
End of Life: (2–3 minutes)
- Explain the difference between hospice and palliative care.
- Describe the role of the nurse leader in caring for patients at the end of life.
- Locate at least one resource that describes a CAM option that would be helpful for a patient at the end of life and explain why this option is appropriate.
Mental Health: (2–3 minutes)
- Explain the impact that the mental health care nurse may have on veterans with mental health issues with regards to patient outcomes.
- Locate at least one resource that describes a CAM option that would be helpful for a veteran with mental health issues and explain why this option is appropriate.
Emerging and Re-Emerging Diseases: (2–3 minutes)
- Describe one emerging or re-emerging disease that the United States has seen in the past five years.
- Describe the role of the nurse leader in preventing, addressing, and treating emerging and re-emerging diseases.
- Locate at least one resource that describes a CAM option that would be helpful for a patient that has become infected with the disease you selected and explain why that option is appropriate.
Conclusion (~1 minute)
- Briefly wrap up your webinar with a summary and encouragement for your colleagues.
Your appearance, diction, and vocabulary should reflect a professional presentation. You may use any visual aids that you feel add to the presentation, but none are required in addition to the video of yourself.