Discussion: Core Competencies of Leaders and Managers in Healthcare Settings
Note: Initial postings must be 250-350 words (not including references).
Direct care settings [noun]“Those organizations that provide care directly to a patient, resident or client who seeks services from the organization” (Buchbinder & Thompson, 2010, pp. 33–34).
Non–direct care settings [noun]Organizations “not directly involved in providing care to persons needing health services, but rather support the care of individuals through products and services made available to direct care settings” (Buchbinder & Shanks, 2019, pp. 1–2).
One of the many differentiators in terms of healthcare leadership is setting. Healthcare leaders and managers may choose to work in settings that provide direct services, such as a hospital or clinic—or nondirect services—such as a community health foundation. Why might healthcare professionals choose to work in one path over another? And what particular characteristics, roles, and functions are needed to successfully manage one type of setting over another?
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Complete the readings in your Learning Resources.
- Review the profiles of the various healthcare managers who work in a healthcare setting in this week’s Required Media. (Click on the organizational charts to learn more about the healthcare professionals in direct, nondirect, and physician practice settings.
Buchbinder, S. B., & Thompson, J. M. (2010). Career opportunities in health care management: Perspectives from the field. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
By Day 4
Post a comprehensive response to the following:
- Explain the roles and functions of healthcare managers and leaders in direct and nondirect service healthcare settings.
- Select one individual from a direct care setting and one individual from a nondirect setting in either the Welcome to Waldenville or the Good Samaritan Hospital’s Organization Chart—Week 1 media, and describe their core competencies.
- How are these core competencies of the featured leaders similar and different?
- In which setting would you prefer to work, and why?
Please be sure to cite your resources using APA style within your post. Please try to select specific public health examples that are different from those posted by your classmates for this discussion.