Read Ch. 8 – Globalization and Interdependence with an eye toward exploring how the west’s expansionist tendencies resulted in the discovery and exploitation of oil in the Middle East. Specifically, you will explore the relationships between and the legacies of the US, Britain and Middle Eastern countries in the search for and command over the world’s oil supply.
With that in mind, once you have digested Ch. 8, please consider, research and respond to the following in a 4-page essay:
1. What is globalization? Please explore both its social and military dimensions. Specifically, discuss how sovereign nations depend on one another and the ramifications of those relationships. Feel free to give an example or two.
2. Discuss the “network effect” and what it means in today’s modern international economy? Explore its impact on citizens and companies and how it defines those relationships.
3. Discuss what the chapter describes as “sensitivity” and “vulnerability” of countries as the engage in and depend upon one another socially, economically and militarily.
4. Take some time to consider and research a brief history of the discovery of oil in Persia (modern day Iran) in 1909 by a British geologist. And, consider and respond to the following:
a) What historical decision(s) lead the British Government/Military to send a British geologist to Persia to “discover” oil?
b) What has been the relationship between Britain, the US and Persia/ Iran? Please explore the coup that overthrew Iran’s democratically elected Prime Minister, Mohammad Mossadegh and the Iranian Revolution of 1979.
5. What is the role of the United Nations with regard to the West and the Middle East? Feel free to discuss any United Nations resolutions.
6. Finally, in your opinion, what can be done to stabilize the relationship between the U.S. and various Middle Eastern countries? And, how might western countries’ move toward green technologies and away from fossil fuels can re-shape those relationships?