Technology in Curriculum and Technology Integration [WLOs: 1, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 5, 6]
Knowing how to use technology is not necessarily the same as knowing how to integrate it into curriculum to best support and enhance teaching and learning. Whereas knowing how to use the technology requires a level of technical skill, knowing how to integrate the technology requires additional knowledge of learning theory, alignment to learning outcomes, and how to best assess learning. Prior to completing this week’s discussion, read Delgado et al (), Deutsch (2012), and Dysart & Weckerle (2015). In addition, view Khan (2011), Mitra (2013), and The RSA (2010).
Initial Post: Create an initial response that addresses the following:
Part 1: Technology Integration Research
- Research and locate a scholarly source that addresses the use of technology in teaching and learning. Be sure to include the full APA citations for each of this source.
- If needed, consult Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.). This table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor.
- Provide a summary of the scholarly source
Part 2: Examples of Technology Integration
- Select three technologies that could be used on the classroom. One of the technologies must be a social media technology.
- Keep in mind that social media extends beyond Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Social media encompass any technology that allows for the sharing of information and facilitates interaction between people. Other examples include, but are not limited to, Blogs, Social Bookmarking, YouTube, Pinterest, Yelp, and TripAdvisor.
- For each technology provide an example of how that technology could be integrated into the classroom to support teaching and learning.
- For each technology, state which learning theories (i.e. cognitivism, social constructivism, experiential learning, etc.) might be supported through the use of that technology.
Part 3: Reflect
- Address the following:
- Provide an example of technology being used in a learning environment without being integrated?
- How might social media be integrated into a learning environment?
- What learning theory or theories are being used by these technologies?
- What are the implications of using technology? Of integrating technology? Of social media?
- What are the implications of not implementing or using them?
- Please support the answers to these questions using this week’s resources. Provide references for all quoted, paraphrased, and summarized information from scholarly and/or credible sources both in-text and in an APA references list.
- Consult the Writing Center’s In-Text Citation Guide and website information about creating an APA Reference List if needed.
Guided Response: Post responses to at least two classmates. In your response, reflect on your classmate’s responses. Question you might consider in your response include:
- How does your view towards technology integration compare?
- Do you see social media as a viable tool for teaching and learning?
- Are some learning theories better supported with technology over others?