It has been argued that America is “oversexed” but at the same time under-educated about it. Discuss in what ways this may or may not be true. Let’s think critically about this topic because it is debatable… in addition to the chapter, please feel free to do some of your research and share your findings.
CONTEMPLATE AND SHARE YOUR PERCEPTIONS REGARDING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
- Is sex everywhere in American society? Please provide support and examples for your position from the chapter, personal experience/observations, and other credible research you may include.
- If you answered yes to the above statement, what could potentially be the impetus for this based on the chapter readings, your views, and observations? If not, what are your reasons for this conclusion?
- How does this impact us as individuals, couples, and families?
THIS THEN TIES IN WITH THE TOPIC OF SEX EDUCATION IN AMERICA …
From your own experience and what we have learned in class from chapter 4, “Our Sexual Selves”:
- How do you think America is doing as a country concerning educating ourselves and future generations about sex?
- Thinking about how you learned about sex—what role did your parents play, your peers, your school, even media? Would you have wanted anything done differently and if so, what?
- Finally, our text addresses the topic of sexual responsibility, and based on the definition provided, what does that mean to you and how can our society promote and encourage sexual responsibility in how we teach and address sexuality?
Remember to explain and support your views with not only an opinion but also using information from the chapter (this is always critical to your work) along with other credible sources if you wish.
Submit your discussion posts using the reply arrow below. Be sure to share complete thoughts, examples, and answer the questions above in a way that promotes further discussion with each other.
Please feel free to present in the first person. Do NOT post in a Q&A format: question/answer. Your may use subject headers or bullet point to organize your thoughts. keep in mind that your post must be presented in essay format. Follow the expectations for class discussions as addressed in Module 0.
AS ALWAYS REMEMBER TO:
- Review your work before submitting because once you post, you cannot go back and edit (see Module 0 concerning this policy).
- Integrate course material from chapter 4 into your post in addition to your personal views and/or experiences.
- Post to at least four others in the discussion. Remember you can also include a response to another student’s feedback to your post as one of your peer responses in addition to responding directly to another student’s post.
- Be sure to always properly cite in APA any sources used within your post and provide a reference list at the end.
- Keep in mind: Your original post to this prompt is worth up to 10 points and your 4 peer responses are worth up to 4 points (1 point each). This makes the total points for this discussion worth 14 points.