Watch this video
Purpose and Audience
Summarizing the overall message of the speech:
- Who was the speaker?
- Where was the speech given?
- Who was the audience?
- What was the speaker attempting to accomplish?
- What were the main points of the speech?
- How were they easy/not so easy to follow?
- How were these main points developed? (i.e., Use of examples? Use of statistics? etc…).
- What are your thoughts on how the message was developed?
- How was the message ‘worded’? What language was used? Did any terms or phrases really make an impression, repeated, or seem strategic?
- Who was the intended audience?
- What cues/language clued you into who is the intended audience?
- How would you evaluate the speaker’s ability to address the intended audience?
- Give unbiased answers for the following:
- How did the speaker try to increase or strengthen his credibility?
- Was he effective? Why or why not?
- How would you evaluate their delivery skills? (i.e., eye contact, vocal projection, composure, etc…).
- What made a positive/negative impression and why?
- How did the speaker seek to meet the needs/wants/emotions of the audience? How effective was the speaker?
- Did the speaker communicate his message clearly? Why or why not?
In your opinion:
- Was the speech effective? Why or Why not?
- What impressions did the speech leave with you?
- Did the speaker reach you in-terms of engaging you?
What did you learn from this speech in-terms of