Consider what you have learned about access to and equity of healthcare this week. Address each of the following prompts in your discussion response:
- Identify a nursing or healthcare issue related to the Affordable Care Act. How does this legislation influence equity, access, and affordability for patients?
- How does this legislation work to decrease the disparity in care?
- How does this legislation impact nursing care?
Please respond to two of your classmates’ postings. In your responses, comment on your experience with the issue identified.
Please be sure to support your discussion with a scholarly source.
This activity aligns with:
Course Outcome 3. Discuss how regulatory agencies and professional organizations influence nursing practice and healthcare delivery to support optimal quality patient care.
Course Outcome 4. Analyze the impact of sociocultural, economic, and environmental influences on health care policies to understand consumer challenges related to equity, access, affordability, and social justice in healthcare.
Course Outcome 5. Evaluate the political advocacy process to identify opportunities for nursing professional involvement.
Course Outcome 6. Delineate strategies that nurses can use to engage in advocacy for healthcare policy to support equity, access, affordability, and social justice for consumers and in support of the nursing profession.
Week 4 Learning Resources – Page 1
To access the readings, right-click the hyperlinks and open in a new tab:
Below are the required learning resources for this week.
What Are Health Disparities and Health Equity?
Read this article to gain a more in-depth understanding of health disparities and health equity.
CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report, 2013 and Strategies for Reducing Health Disparities, 2016
As you read each report, consider which of the findings and data are the most relevant to the work you do and the patient population in your area.
- CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report, 2013
- CDC Strategies for Reducing Health Disparities, 2016
HRSA 2017 Health Equity Report
Take some time to review the findings of the 2017 HRSA Health Equity report:
As you read this Healthy People 2020 entry, see if you can add anything to your list of the factors that contribute to health disparities.
Determinants of Health
Read this entry from Healthy People 2020 and consider how the United States can address the relationship among health status and biology, individual behavior, health services, social factors, and government policies.
- Determinants of Health
Health Disparities and Health Equity: The Issue Is Justice
Review the following sites related to health disparities and health equity:
- American Psychological Association (2020) Website: Health Disparities
- American Medical Association: Reducing disparities in health care
- Watch the VIDEO: AMA Leadership on Health Equity
Paying for Medical Care
Review this website on paying for medical care from USA.gov:
- Paying for Medical Care
- Week 4 Learning Resources – Page 2To access the readings, right-click the hyperlinks and open in a new tab:Below are the required learning resources for this week.National Partnership for Action: Toolkit for Community ActionAs you look through this toolkit, consider whether you would use any of the recommended strategies to advocate for those suffering from health disparities.
- National Partnership for Action: Toolkit for Community Action
HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health DisparitiesAs you review the HHS’s plan to combat health disparities in concert with the ACA, think about how you might integrate some of the approaches in this plan into your work as a nurse.
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
Bundled Payments for Care Improvement (BPCI) Initiative: General InformationRead about this new payment plan whereby select health care organizations enter into payment arrangements with Medicare that incorporate financial and performance accountability, with the goal of reducing cost and providing higher-quality care.
- Bundled Payments for Care Improvement (BPCI) Initiative: General Information
National Health InsuranceThis article describes the insurance programs that are in place in some countries and speculates on how these approaches would fare in the United States.After reading the article, consider the argument for our moving to a national health care system. How do you think Americans would respond to such a system?
Community Health Centers (CHCS)As you read about this type of health care setting, think about how community health centers align with the principles of the ACA.
Finding Synergy: Reducing Disparities in Health by Modifying Multiple DeterminantsRead this journal article. What strategies does the author recommend for reducing health disparities?
Health Equity through ActionAs you read this article, consider what nurses can do to reduce health disparities.
Increasing Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Nursing to Reduce Health Disparities and Achieve Health EquityThis fact sheet from the AACN discusses the need for diversification in the health care workforce so that it reflects US demographics and suggests strategies to improve recruitment and retention.
CMS Quality Measures Development (2019)On this information sheet, the CMS discusses quality measures used in providing quality health care.